Frequently Asked Questions

City Services

I have a general concern related to services provided by the City of Suwanee. Who can help me?

If you have a concern related to City services (e.g., street lights, erosion, etc.), you may submit a service request via the City's Go! Suwanee mobile app, which can be downloaded for free at the Apple Store or Google Play or accessed here. Or, you may call City Hall at 770-945-8996. You also may utilize the Contact Us link at the very top of this webpage.

Who handles street light repair?

You can report the need for street light repairs to the City of Suwanee, who will contact the appropriate utility company. Contact Nicole Schnepper at 770-945-8996 or

Where should I report damage to a water main?

Report damage to your service provider, that is, to whomever you pay your water bill, either Gwinnett County or the City of Suwanee.

Can I obtain or renew my driver’s license at City Hall?

No. A Georgia state driver’s license must be obtained or renewed through the Georgia Department of Driver Safety. For more information about requirements and licensing facilities, visit

How do I register my vehicle?

Individuals moving to Georgia have thirty (30) days after establishing their residency to apply for a Georgia title and tag. Vehicles are registered through the Gwinnett County Motor Vehicle/Auto Tag office. For more information about registration and office locations, go to or call 770-822-8818.

Where is...?

Where is City Hall?

Suwanee City Hall is located at 330 Town Center Avenue. Directions.

Where is historic Main Street?

Suwanee’s historic commercial district is located at the south end of Main Street. It can be accessed by turning onto Main Street from Lawrenceville-Suwanee; from Buford Highway and then Russell Road; and via McGinnis Ferry Road and then Scales Road.

Where is Town Center?

Suwanee’s emerging Town Center is located at the intersection of Lawrenceville-Suwanee and Buford Highway. The area includes the 10-acre Town Center Park, emerging mixed-use area, and residential development (Shadowbrook at Town Center). Click here for more information.

Where is PlayTown Suwanee? 

This community-built super playground is located at 425 Main Street, on the other side of the church from the Gwinnett County Public Library.

Where is Suwanee Creek Park? 

This passive park and trailhead to the four-mile Suwanee Creek Greenway is at 1170 Buford Highway, between Swiftwater Park Drive and the bridge over Suwanee Creek.

Where is George Pierce Park?

The Gwinnett County facility is located just north of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road on Buford Highway. You can turn right into the park at the first light on Buford Highway north of Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road.

Where is the post office?

Suwanee's post office is located at 990 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, next to the McGinnis Crossing shopping plaza and across from Moore Road.

Where locally can I obtain a passport?

The Suwanee post office is an official passport acceptance facility. Instructions and a downloadable passport form are available at

Where is the closest public library?

The Suwanee branch of the Gwinnett County Public Library is at 361 Main Street in Suwanee’s historic Old Town area. The library’s phone number is 770-614-3418.

Does the City have a walking trail? Where is it?

The Suwanee Creek Greenway is a hard-surface, multipurpose trail that meanders through four miles of wooded areas, wetlands, and wildlife habitat. Walkers, joggers, bikers, rollerbladers, and others can access the trail at a variety of locations. The trailhead is located at Suwanee Creek Park, 1170 Buford Highway. Other access points are:

  • Near the Suwanee Sports Academy at 3640 Burnette Road.
  • Martin Farm Park, about a half-mile west of Satellite Boulevard.
  • Suwanee Elementary School, on weekends and after 4 p.m. during the week only.
  • George Pierce Park, near the soccer and back softball fields.

Where are Gwinnett County courts located?

Gwinnett County Courts are housed in the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center at 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville. For more information, call 770-822-8000.

Suwanee Municipal Court is located within the Suwanee Crossroads Center at 323 Buford Highway, on the other side of the fire department from the police department.

Where is the Gwinnett Chamber of Commerce?

The Chamber of Commerce is located at 6500 Sugarloaf Parkway in Duluth next to the Gwinnett Civic and Cultural Center. On the web, the chamber’s located at

Where is the Arena at Gwinnett Center?

The Arena at Gwinnett Center, home to the Georgia Force arena football team and Gwinnett Gladiators hockey team, is part of the Gwinnett Civic & Cultural Center complex at 6400 Sugarloaf Parkway. From Suwanee, the Arena is about 5 minutes south on Satellite Boulevard; turn right onto Sugarloaf Parkway. The Arena at Gwinnett Center is bringing headline performers, such as George Strait and Bruce Springsteen, as well as big sporting events, including the 2004 U.S. Novice and Junior Figure Skating Championships and state high school basketball Final Four, to Gwinnett County.

Reserving City Facilities

The Burnette-Rogers Pavilion, used for community events, also may be reserved for private events.

Does the City have meeting spaces available to community groups?

The City has very limited meeting space for community use/rental.  Use is limited to activities that directly involve Suwanee citizens (e.g., homeowner associations).  The rental fee for rooms vary.  For more information, contact Office Administrator Robyn O'Donnell at 770-945-8996. Click here to view the room rental application.

May the pavilions at City of Suwanee parks be reserved?

Yes, the pavilions at Suwanee Creek Park and City Hall Park as well as the Burnette-Rogers Pavilion at Main Street Park may be reserved/rented for private functions. Please see the City of Suwanee’s Pavilion Usage policy for more information.

Community Groups

Is there a senior citizens’ group in the City?

The Good Timers is a social club for individuals 50 or older. The group meets at 11 a.m. the second Tuesday of each month at George Pierce Park’s community building. For more information, call 770-945-9773 or 770-945-9902.

Planning & Zoning

What is "zoning"?

Zoning is the establishment and enforcement of regulations governing use, placement, spacing, and land size in separate districts. In other words, zoning is an attempt to guide growth through the creation of categories that allow and regulate land uses. For example, commercial uses are designated in certain areas while residential and other uses are restricted to more appropriate areas. When uses are combined (in mixed-use areas), zoning serves to ensure compatibility through design and location.

How do I check zoning on my property?

Call the Planning Department at 770-945-6583. To expedite the process, be sure to have the tax identification number for the property about which you are inquiring. You also may visit the Planning Department at City Hall, 373 Buford Highway.

How do I determine what uses are allowed in a particular zoning district?

The City's Zoning Ordinance is available on the web, or you may purchase a copy from City Hall. It outlines all of the permitted uses and certain regulations that govern those uses. For more information, contact the Planning Department at 770-945-6583.

Can the City enforce covenants in my subdivision?

No. Covenants are private agreements between the homeowners in your subdivision. The City does not have the authority to enforce these agreements. To learn more about covenants, please contact an appropriate attorney.

Where can I get a copy of my covenants?

Try your homeowners’ association. Also, if the covenants were recorded properly, you should be able to obtain copies from the Gwinnett County Courthouse Records Room.

Police and Court

Photo by M. Michael Farr

Where do I pay my City of Suwanee traffic citation fine?

Fines may be paid via mail or at Suwanee’s Crossroads Center, 323 Buford Highway, from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. Payment may be made via cash, metro-area check, or money order; credit card payments must be made in person. Payment information is printed on the back of the ticket.

Where is the Suwanee police department?

Suwanee police department headquarters is located at 373 Buford Highway. Directions.

Where are Gwinnett County courts located?

Gwinnett County Courts are housed in the Gwinnett Justice and Administration Center at 75 Langley Drive in Lawrenceville. For more information, call 770-822-8000.

Suwanee Municipal Court is located within the Suwanee Crossroads Center at 323 Buford Highway, on the other side of the fire department from City Hall.

How can I obtain a copy of a police report?

Incident reports may be requested by letter or in person; reports cannot be faxed nor can information be given over the phone. Reports can be mailed to the requestor or picked up at any time three business days after the incident at the front window inside the Police Department, adjacent to City Hall. Each report is $2.

How can I obtain a criminal history check on an individual I’m considering hiring?

With a Criminal History Request form signed by the individual to be checked, the Suwanee Police Department can perform a criminal history check only within the state of Georgia for a $10 fee. Reports can be mailed to the requestor or picked up at any time three business days after the incident at the front window inside the Police Department, 373 Buford Highway. For criminal histories in other states, contact the Georgia Bureau of Investigation in Atlanta.

Property Taxes

Who do I contact for questions about property taxes?

Contact the finance department at 770-945-8996 with questions about your City of Suwanee property taxes. However, any changes made in address or names as well as information about homestead exemptions fall under the purview of Gwinnett County. For more information about Gwinnett County taxes or to contact the county tax commissioner’s office, go to or call 770-822-8800.

City of Suwanee Water Service

Why do I have low water pressure?

Temporary low water pressure may be caused by heavy water use; a water main break; or hydrants being accessed for flow testing, water distribution flushing, or to fight a nearby fire.

Why is my water discolored?

Cloudy water is caused by tiny air bubbles in the water similar to gas bubbles in carbonated soft drinks. If you fill a clear glass with water and it clears from the bottom up, there is air in the water. After a short while, the bubbles rise to the top and are gone. This type of cloudiness occurs more often in the winter, when the drinking water is cold.
Potential solution: Let the water run for a short period of time and check periodically for water clarity.

Rusty brown water is caused by several factors. Almost all water pipes have a thin film of rust and harmless sediment on the inside of them. Although this film causes no problems, over time it can build up to the point that a slight increase in water velocity can cause it to break loose from the interior pipe wall. This material causes your water to appear discolored or dirty. Normally discolored water is the result of high water demands throughout the distribution system. Higher-than-normal water demands (which is what happens when a water main is broken or a fire hydrant is opened too quickly) increase the velocity of the water to a rate of flow that causes harmless material in the pipeline, such as rust and sediment, to break free.
Potential solution: The Public Works Department performs flushing of the water mains in your area to remove sediment.

How does flushing the water distribution system work?

The Public Works Department has an ongoing program of flushing the distribution pipes to help ensure that they are kept clean. Otherwise, rust and sediment would cling to the pipe walls. Flushing is done by opening fire hydrants and letting the water rush through the pipelines at a higher-than-normal velocity. The water being moved through at a high velocity breaks loose the sediment that may be present. The water is flushed until it becomes clear and cold. During this process, there is a sufficient amount of chlorine residual present for disinfection.

Is the discolored water safe to drink?

Even though the discolored water is not harmful, we realize it’s not aesthetically pleasing either. Whether or not you feel comfortable drinking the water is a personal decision and an understandable one. If at anytime the water is deemed unsafe to drink, you will be notified immediately by the water system with guidance from the State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources via calling post or different forms of media. During more localized events that may occur, you will likely be visited by a water system representative as well. Although harmless, discolored water may leave stains when washing clothes. If you are experiencing discolored water, you may want to postpone doing laundry for a short time until the water becomes clear. As with all of your family’s home and health decisions, common sense is always the best approach. Even though discolored water is harmless, if you don’t feel comfortable using it during short periods of discoloration, we certainly understand. As always, you are the best judge of what is best for you and your family.

What should I do if I notice discolored water at my tap?

The first thing you should do is allow your tap to run a few minutes to see if it clears up. If this doesn’t correct the problem within five to ten minutes, please contact the City of Suwanee Water Department at 770-945-8996 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. After hours, please call 770-527-3803 or 770-265-0810.

How can I remove rust stains from my clothes?

If you notice rust or iron stains on clothes when taking them out of the washer, don’t dry them before treating the stains. Heat sets the stains and makes them difficult or impossible to remove.  Also, do not use chlorine bleach to attempt to remove rust stains. Chlorine can also make the stain permanent.

In order to help remove or lighten rust stains, you may want to consider rewashing the clothes with a commercial rust remover, many of which are readily available and can be found at most grocery and discount stores.  Examplesof commercial rust removers are:

Use them carefully according to the manufacturer’s directions, including testing garments for colorfastness, using correct water temperature and wash cycle for type of fabric, and rinsing clothes thoroughly.  Reminder:  Heat and chlorine bleach may make the problem worse.

Reference to commercial products is made with the understanding that no discrimination is intended or endorsement implied.